Last 7 days Popular Posts

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Long-Awaited Mirror Reveal...

Some of you may remember the mirrors I scored at a local estate sale...


Well, I have finally got around to painting them and hanging them in my bedroom. After a very light sanding I did an extremely fast prime job. Funny but I kind of liked the haphazard look of the blue-grey primer, messily brushed on the mirrors...


I had originally thought of painting these mirrors with a matte blue-grey paint (perhaps why I was drawn to the prime job!), but I ended up going with a yellow-green to keep things in the room more cohesive. I chose Savannah Green by Benjamin Moore and also went with a gloss finish - total change of plans! :) 


Because I loved the worn, aged look of the mirrors in their primed stage, I decided to apply the yellow-green paint with a dry brush "technique". I didn't fuss about getting the paint to cover perfectly, and liked how the blue-grey primer showed through in some spots. (Note: the color is more accurate in the above photo, these ones below show the color MUCH subtler than it really is)


I LOVE the layered paint effect. It adds so much more dimension, texture and interest to the mirrors! Lastly, when the mirrors were dry, I look fine sandpaper and lightly distressed some of the raised edges to reveal the dark wood beneath. Et voila - mirror perfection!


In-room photos are coming this week, so be sure to check back!

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow with your fathers and/or husbands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...