Last 7 days Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wall Decals - Proceed With Caution

I have been thinking about this post for awhile and finally decided to publish it.  Why the apprehension? I'm not sure what I think about Wall Decals.  I know . . .  hard to believe I have not formed an opinion about something!

So, why post?  It's a bit of a conundrum - wall decals are a hot trend I've been seeing in design.  But, they are a tricky element that can quickly go from cool & hip to cheesy & cheap.  At times, I really like the look they give you, but at other times they seem to ruin a room.

So, in a personal attempt to come to terms with wall decals and figure out why they give me such mixed feelings, I have pulled together some examples of wall decals I think work.

Informal Family Room
This room is by Candice Olson who tends to use wall decals more than any other decorator I know; and for the most part, I think she is able to pull it off.  I think the paisley works on this wall because it is a low ceiling wall in a narrow room and is a great alternative to framed artwork that would take up valuable space.  Also, the way the decals have been applied makes the wall feel like it continues beyond the ceiling - thus distracting from the low ceilings.  As an aside, I always marvel at how Candice can cram so much furniture into a small space and still make it look right. 

Kid's Rooms
Generally, I think wall decals are easier to pull off in a child's room.  Also, if your children are like mine, most framed art tends to get knocked off the walls during impromptu football games at some point.  So, decals are a nice, inexpensive option.

This would be a great look in a little boy's room.  It is an unexpected way to display the alphabet. I can see this paired with some cool boyish fabrics that are a bit understated.  

Here is an example in a tween bedroom.  This has a big girl feel to it and can easily be changed as she moves into another stage.

Generally, I do not like wall decals with phrases on them (i.e., "Dream, Wish, Hope.").  I can't articulate why, I just don't like it.  But for some reason, the photo below is ok for me.  I think it helps that it is a child's room and the monogram feels more custom.  Also, I love monogrammed linens, so maybe that's the reason I like this room. 

Shot of Mod
Most wall decals I like seem to be included in homes with a modern sense of style.  I really like the look of this one.  But, maybe I like it because it is really more like modern wallpaper which I do think looks amazing in the right space.  


This is a very traditional room, but the wall decal gives the room and updated feel.  I also think the saturated color of walls with the white decal really makes this work.

Where to Find
I can't stand showing you pictures and not giving you some sources for this product.  There are lots of others, but here a few to peruse.

So, I'm still trying to decide what I think about it.  I would love your thoughts on it.  Do you like wall decals?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...