Last 7 days Popular Posts

Monday, January 24, 2011

Tools of the Trade - Hanging a Grouping


I wanted to share with you some tips on how to hang a series of artwork.  It is relatively easy to do if you have the right tools and a person who can hold the artwork so you can step back to make sure the spacing works.

But, what if you are hanging it by yourself?

Add to this the fact that many groupings include artwork with different hanging mechanisms on the back, different wire lengths, or side latches and no wire - all of which effect the height of a piece.  It can be a major chore.

This is a grouping in my dining room.
These plates were my Mom's first china pattern when she and my Dad were married 46 years ago.  Their house was struck by lighting and burned in 1999.  These plates were no longer usable (up close they are cracked throughout and stained in spots), so I made art out of them. (sorry for the dark photos, I realize I'm always apologizing for my photo skills, so maybe I need to treat myself to a class or two.)  

I hung this series by myself (yes, just me) on a Sunday afternoon a few years ago.  Here is the easiest way to hang art when you don't have a friend to help.

1. Figure out the proper layout of the series.  Always place the entire grouping on the floor to create the ideal placement. 
2. Grab some leftover over newspaper and trace each plate or picture onto the paper and cut them out.
3. Gently tape these cutouts to the wall and step back to make sure you are happy with the spacing and the height of the entire group.

4.  Once you are completely satisfied with the placement on the wall, you can begin hanging the plates.  
5. Start with the bottom piece first and place it on top of the paper cutout.  At this stage, I used this tool to get the exact placement of the nail.  I got it for Christmas one year, and now I simply cannot live without it!

 6.  You simply hang the picture (or plate in my case) on the hook at the bottom of the tool and hold it up to the wall on top of your paper cutout.  
7.  When it is completely lined up with the cutout, gently push on the picture/plate and the tool makes a small impression on the wall indicating where to place the nail.  It truly is a snap!  
8.  Once the nail is in place, you can remove the paper cutout.

 I like to remove all previously hung pieces while I'm hammering.  I have a tendency to bang so hard that I've knocked pieces off the wall!  So, I'm careful to make sure to place the exact plate back in it's original place (since the hangers on the back can vary slightly from piece to piece thus changing the spacing of the series).

One More Tip: I didn't know about this product when I hung my plates, but discovered it later and have used it for many projects since.  I love that it allows the plate to sit closer to the wall for a cleaner look.
Hopefully, this has inspired you to come up with a grouping of your own.
I hope your Monday runs super smooth! M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...