Last 7 days Popular Posts

Friday, January 27, 2012

Inspiration Profile: Stephanie Hobbs

Well, another week has whizzed by and here we are on a sunny Saturday!
Here is this week's Inspiration Profile and it comes all the way from Los Angeles - please meet the lovely Stephanie Hobbs from Marmol Radziner.

Stephanie Hobbs (far right) sits with the other three Marmol Radziner Associates at their office;
(L to R) Brad Williams, Nicole Starr and Chris Shanley.

Ward Residence - Los Angeles, CA

Ward Residence - Los Angeles, CA

Name:  Stephanie Hobbs

What do you do: I am the Design Associate at Marmol Radziner in Los Angeles and I have been here for 15 years (minus a two year hiatus when I worked at Herriot and Melhuish in Wellington, NZ)
Where do you live: Santa Monica, California
What are you working on:  I currently have my hands in a whole bunch of stuff. Here are a few highlights:
  • A Master Plan for a 150 acre family retreat in upstate New York
  • Assisting MOCA with the design for an exhibit at the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood
  • Designs for two houses in Kauai
  • The design for a new family compound in Montecito, California  including a main house, guest house, gym and sport court
  • A new house in Rustic Canyon, California which is about to finish construction, the clients are moving in at the end of the month! 
  • And finally the Marmol Radziner jewellery line.
Vince Store - Melrose, Los Angeles

Vince Store -  Melrose, Los Angeles

Who/what inspires me: My insanely creative friends and family inspire me on a daily basis. I also get to work with a whole bunch of creative people. Travelling, colour, clothes and shoes.
I work best:  In the morning, not super early and after I’ve had a cup of coffee, and before I get hungry for lunch! 
What I do when I’m stuck for inspiration: I surf the web, typically for vintage furniture, I google image search random things or I flip through a magazine.  I also like to check out what my facebook friends have been posting.
The best advice I have been given is:   Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
My latest discovery is:  That the tailor I go to will make throw pillows for $15-$20. 
Books that I get inspiration from:  'Born to Run' is my most recent read that really inspired me. When I’m feeling healthy I seem to work better, and this book really inspires you to want to run!  Plus it’s a great story. 
I also like to have a couple of fun books on my desk at all times, which right now happen to be a Jean Prouve book and Arcadia Cross-Country Style Architecture and Design.

House in Venice

House in Venice

Magazines that inspire me: I read pretty much every fashion magazine out there.  At work I love flipping through the auction catalogues. Most of the vintage furniture is so much better than any of the new stuff.

Blogs and Websites that I enjoy: I don’t get on the blogs much but I do like to check out what my friends are posting. Sandwich'd, CreateAna's blogs about her life and her creations, it's very inspiring; A Little Faith - she gives you little weekend challenges; Go Figure - a great facebook page about nutrition; Domestic Scene - love all the fun projects and of course, Charlotte Minty. (aw shucks, thanks Stephanie - CM
Plus a few of my favourite web sites - Remodelista - I'm on this everyday; Gilt - love, love, love and The Man Repeller - makes me laugh.

My favourite room at home is: My bedroom, which is basically my closet. 
My office is: Hectic and cluttered but fun
What am I looking forward to:  One of my best friends is getting married this summer in Michigan and we’re all going to spend a week out there by the lake. Also, my sweetie and I got a weekend of rock climbing classes in Joshua Tree for each other for Christmas and we’ll hopefully do that in Feb or April.  Finally, I hope to make it to New Zealand in May for a friend’s 40th birthday!! Fingers crossed.

Want to know more about Marmol Radziner? See their website here and their shop here.
Photographs used with permission from Stephanie Hobbs and Marmol Radziner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...