Last 7 days Popular Posts

Friday, April 15, 2011

Photo Grouping

I have posted in the past about our playroom and freshening up the space.  As of now, nothing has changed in the way of fabrics.  But I did add a few extra photographs to a large wall in the space and thought you might like to see the results.


I hung this grouping using the same tools and technique I used with the plates in my dining room.  I started by first placing the frames on the floor and moving them around until I came up with a layout I liked.


Once I got my layout, I traced the frames onto newspaper and taped these pieces to the wall to make sure I had the perfect spacing.


To hang the grouping, I used my favorite picture hanging tool to get the nails in just the right spot.


I worked my way up from the bottom (this is the easiest way to do it with my hanging tool).   

The trick to a high end look is selecting really clear (in focus) interesting images, putting them in similar frames and using all black and white or all color images.  


I have collected these particular photos for years.  In fact, sometimes, I only find one or two a year (out of the hundreds that we take) that I think are frame worthy.  I also love that they are candids and not formal posed photos.




 Here's more information on the frames.  They are by Canopy and are around $9.50 a frame for the 8x10 (with the matt).  They are from Walmart (yes, I said Walmart).  Here is the link for these frames.   The one I selected has a thicker frame which I actually like better.  This is the only brand of frames that I like at Walmart because it has the same high end look as more expensive brands.

Here is a thinner version that is a bit cheaper at $8.44 each (set of two $16.88).

Look how similar they are to this Pottery Barn frame which is on sale right now for $23.00 each.  This adds up quickly when you want to buy enough for a large grouping.

When I purchased mine, I went ahead and got 14 of them.  The others are stored until I get the perfect picture.  If you don't go ahead and purchase the total you need, they will stop making the frame and then you will have a mismatched grouping.  Now, I love a grouping with lots of different frames; but it does not work when all the frames are the same except for two or three.

When I finished hanging the photographs, I cleaned up the room (took out two huge garbage bags full of junk!) and took these pictures.  It's amazing how much better a space feels when you just clean up.  BTW, that closet holds my sewing machine and fabrics.  Maybe at some point I'll show it to you!





Now, I think the room is at least presentable.

As an aside, I think my daughter has the interior design gene too.  This was her idea of adding some artwork to the space.


At least she didn't draw on the walls!


I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  We are going to have a rough patch of weather today, but the rest of the weekend is suppose to be beautiful!  Have a good one! M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...