Last 7 days Popular Posts

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Inspiration Profile: David Alsop

Welcome to this week's Inspiration Profile and we have another interesting Wellingtonian. His name is David Alsop and he is the owner and director of {Suite} Gallery on Cuba Street, Wellington. Next week Alsop will be opening the new 'Westra' Gallery on Oriental Bay.


David Alsop, outside the soon-to-be 'Westra' Gallery at 108 Oriental Bay, Wellington. Photo - Guy Robinson.

Name:  David Alsop

What do you do: I’ve been the owner/director of {Suite} Gallery for 5 years.
Where do you live: Wellington, New Zealand

What are you working on:   The opening of our 'Westra' Gallery at 108 Oriental Parade on 21st of March, dedicated to Arts Foundation of New Zealand Icon Artist, Ans Westra; and finding a home for the remaining paintings in Irene Ferguson’s paintings currently on show at Level 2/147 Cuba Street.

{Suite} at Level 2/147 Cuba Street, Wellington



Who/what inspires me: People – Desiree Dolron, Yves Klein, Ans Westra, Peter McLeavey, Hugo & Sylvie Alsop
Other – seeing/hearing ‘underdog against the odds stories’;  receiving feedback to the effect that what I’m doing with the gallery is having a positive affect on others. 
I work best: First thing in the morning and between about 8-10pm when the kids are in bed. 
What I do when I’m stuck for inspiration:  Walk around our house and look at what’s on the walls.  Reflect on what’s been working well recently and what hasn’t.  Learn from previous mistakes and sucesses.
The best advice I have been given is: Take things slowly and don’t grow the gallery too quickly (from Gavin Hipkins). Yeah Right.  
My latest discovery is:  Publishing.  We recently re-published Ans Westra’s seminal 1964 book ‘Washday at the Pa’, and published 'Roger Boyce: The Illustrated History of Painting’ (featuring text from Justin Paton). It was nice to think at Christmas time that people would be receiving a present I’d created, and everyone I have heard from likes it!
Upcoming book projects include the publication of Wayne Youle’s amalgam of his artworks and images selected by others, a book for Ans Westra of images of the altered New Zealand landscape and a book related to Neil Pardington’s 'Cushing Project'.
Ans Westra
Turangawaewae, Ngaruwahia, 1963
Illustrated 'Maori' 1967
Vintage Silver Gelatin Print
265 x 220mm




Irene Ferguson
Gale6
Oil on canvas
1524 x 1016 mm
2012

Books that I get inspiration from:  Most art related books, especially Ans Westra’s ‘Maori (1967) and Notes on the Country I Live In (1972). 
Magazines that inspire me:  Sculpture, Elle Wonen (Dutch), Pilot, Cycling News and Wallpaper.
Blogs that I enjoy:   I don’t read many but do enjoy Roger Boyce Paints and Over the Net and On the Table.  I also on occasions read Murray Crane’s Dispatch. 
My favourite room at home is: Our dining room, which houses some of our Dolron collection of photographs, some of our favourite furniture and the first painting that Susannah and I brought (then sold then rebrought) together.
My office is: {Suite} Gallery at Level 2/147 Cuba Street, Wellington;  'Westra Gallery' at 108 Oriental Parade, Wellington; and at home: office/garage/cellar/storage for the galleries. 

What am I looking forward to:  
Our Irish Terrier not running away (did you spot him in David's profile photo?)
Spending a little less time working. 
Upcoming settlement of purchase of land at Otaki Beach. 
The opening of our ‘Westra Gallery” (opening 21st March 2012)
Arie Hellendoorn
Cranial
Watercolour on paper
700 x 510mm
2011

Douglas Stichbury
Untitled (Melting Man)
Pencil and coloured transparency
380 x 250mm
2012
All photographs and images are displayed with permission by David Alsop and {Suite} Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...