Last 7 days Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Project in Progress - My House!

For Christmas, my husband gave me one of my favorite types of presents - a project!! I love home projects and this year, he's agreed to a "freshen up" of the bookshelves/media area our family room.  As background, some of you may remember my post about the purchase of a fabulous piece of artwork from Ashley Terrell, a Mobile artist, if not click here.  My initial plan was to use the artwork in a clever way to disguise our very outdated vintage TV.  Well, I think all the talk about the pathetic vintage TV finally got to my husband and he suggested we upgrade to a flat screen with all the bells and whistle.  Also, he did not want to cover up all this new technology once it's in place (the compromises we have to make, ladies).

So, my new piece of artwork will be moving to my entryway, and the intaglios (currently in that spot) to the dining room.  This is an entirely separate post, so, more on these moves later.  

For now, here's the plan for the family room (very excited about this)!
The new TV will stay in the spot above the fireplace.  However, the wall will be pushed back (no need for the gigantic hole any longer), to accommodate a mantel (big smile here).  Here's the mantel in it's raw form. . . .

Little history on this mantel - This was the mantel in my home growing up.  It was cut in the 1920's and used as a foundation board in the original cotton gin for the city of Laurel, Mississippi.  My Dad managed to get it when the gin was torn down in the 60's.  He kept it and used it when we built our home in 1975 as our mantel.  It hung out there until 1999 when my parents house was struck by lighting and burned for a complete loss.  

 After my parents rebuilt, this piece was salvaged and has remained in my Dad's barn.  When I learned we were going to be doing this project, I asked if I could have it.  And he said yes!!

At the present moment, it looks a little sad, but I promise it is really going to look fantastic once it's refinished and in place.  

In addition to the mantel, I'm going to be painting the insets of the bookshelves a dark color.  This will help to balance the very large black TV over the fireplace (which I am not allowed to cover up - Oh, right, I already mention that).  My hope is the dark color of the insets will draw your eye and the entire focus will not be on the mega screen.  Also, since I have several dark wood casement pieces on the other end of the room, this color will add some much needed weight to this side of the room.

Sort of like this . . . 

Still debating how far I want to go with the dark color.  Would love your thoughts!!  
Should I only paint the backs?
  
Or the backs and sides?

  Or the backs, sides and shelves? 

Or paint the entire wall of bookshelves?

See what happens when you look at interior design details all the time - I really love the look of all of them, so it's hard to make a decision.  Sort of like the dessert cart!  

Also debating the perfect color for the job - really want a gray tone, but I have lots of warm tones in my house, so I have to pick a gray with warm undertones - it can be tricky . . . 

Really liking these . . . 
BM - Kingsport Gray (a brownish gray)

BM Herbal Escape 1487 (a greenish gray)

P&L Silver Mink

SW Sticks & Stones 7503

In addition to the new mantel and dark insets, I am going to be installing library lights over each of the four bookshelves.  I've always thought the arches were too deep and didn't make sense.  But with the addition of the lights (along with some restyling of the shelves), I think I will finally like the look of them.  

Here are some images of bookshelves with library lights . . .
I've narrowed the field to these . . .


Would love your thoughts on my project and your favorite picks for paint and lighting.  And to confuse me even more, if you have other paint colors you love, please share!! M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...