Last 7 days Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Married Adventure [Book of the Day]

one of my favortie images of the johnsons

safari museum in chanute kansas

GROWING UP WITH OSA & MARTIN JOHNSON.

Ok so I think I'm the last person in the design community to blog about the infamous I Married Adventure book. I am originally from Chanute, Ks. Chanute has the one and only museum dedicated to Osa and Martin Johnson. I grew up learning about them during school trips and art excursions from grade school all the way into college. My great Aunt & Uncle were friends of the Johnson's and at one point my mother took me to meet Osa's mother at the museum. My family has a collection of signed books, photographs etc. and my Dad's cousin has one of largest collections of all the books I've ever seen. He must have 40/50 books in his collection, it includes every book ever published by the Martins. I cherish the books, and my mother, sister and I have used their story as inspiration for years. I firmly believe that their sprint of adventure was ingrained in me starting at a very young age and is partly why I was able to leave small town KS and move to CA to explore and have my own "adventure". I have been following the book within the design world for the past 10 years now while working as an Interior Designer in the SF Bay Area then at KWID for a couple of years in LA and now with my own company one2BOND. At first I would see it here and there...and NOW it's EVERYWHERE! It's like stumbling across a little piece of home every time I see it somewhere. It's become a game for me to find it now...books, magazines, showcase houses, homes of friends who are in the design field. I once found it in an Anthropologie display case early on and the guy ended up giving it to me after I told him my story. When we heard of the M+O clothing stores that's when we knew the book had really touched and inspired lives. They use their wedding date, numbers from their planes and geographical locations of their explorations in their apparel design. I recently heard that the M+O stores will be selling the book now as well. I have recently used the book in a one2BOND project and of course in home display. My family and I try go back to Chanute once a year and we always take a trip to the museum. It's a tradition for us. Amanda




recent one2bond project







image: one of many IMA sightings beach bungalow 8 (love those table megan) we are in preparation with vanessa for the OC version of the tag sale.



recent one2bond project



another favorite of osa on a zebra in borneo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...